"Brace yourself for the sound of silence. But these days, quiet means fast." – ABC News Nightline
Yes. Early Porsches, Karmann Ghias, Things, and Microbuses–all perfect candidates for the Zelectric retrofit.
Besides the classic Beetle, we can convert other models including yours – or one that you'd like to be yours. We can locate that car you've always wanted, modify and electrify it for you.
While our initial focus has been on providing turnkey vintage Beetles, all rear-engined air-cooled cars are perfect candidates for the Zelectric rebuild. Classics can leave their sedentary garage life behind and do what they were designed to do: be dependable daily drivers again.
If you have a matching numbers classic, we can arrange for your original engine to be properly stored and crated for safekeeping. No cutting or welding ever takes place, so the investment value of your vehicle continues to rise. From the outside, it will appear to be a stock-perfect sleeper, and if so desired, could always be converted back to fossil fuel consumption.
What makes for a great Zelectric candidate? If you're considering a car you currently own, ask yourself if it's truly investment-worthy. It should be in excellent working condition, with a manual transmission. Once the engine is removed, you can keep it or we can sell that for you and credit your final invoice with 50% of the engine's sale price.
Looking for an 80+ mile range? Zelectric retrofit packages generally start at $49k. Microbus rebuilds at $55k. This includes project managment, design, batteries, electric components, labor and depending on the model, select mechanical upgrades such as rebuilt transmission, sway bars, HD shocks, radial tires, disc brakes, LED lamps, seat belts. Electric heat, whitewalls and sound system are available options.
Once electric, you'll be surprised at how often you'll want to just get out and GO. Driving your Zelectrified classic will be easier than any standard mid-century car and way more fun than most one-speed EV production cars. Around town, you'll usually be in 2nd or 3rd gear, no need to shift when coming to a stop. The Zelectric's maintenance-free AC motor is designed to run 24/7 for 100 years, with state of the art lithium-iron batteries providing full range for at least 160,000 miles.
While many models make good candidates for Zelectrification, these pre-1980 Beetle relatives rank among the best:
– VW Karmann Ghia
– VW Microbus
– VW Thing
– Meyers Manx
– Porsche 356, 911, 912, 914 and Replicas
– VW Squarebacks, Notchbacks, Fastbacks
– Fiat 500, the Italian "People's Car"
Everything in life is a trade off to some degree.
Ask yourself. Is a Zelectric right for you?
What you don't get.
- No gasoline.
- No tailpipe.
- No engine.
- No carburator.
- No oil leaks. No oil.
- No motor maintenance.
- No emissions.
- No power steering.
- No power windows.
- No door handles that light up and
rise out of the car to greet you.
- No 17" touchpad in the dash.
- No depreciation.
- No looking like every other car
- No driving something that looks
like an angry appliance.
- No keyless ignition.
- No car recognizes your face thing.
Your face recognizes your car instead.
- No sound. Well some, but not much.
- No space lost under the hood.
- No spending money at gas stations unless you want to buy a candy bar.
- No waiting to warm up the engine.
Because you don't have one.
- No turning on the heater and breathing toxic gas fumes.
- No tank of highly flammable liquid sloshing around a few feet away from you.
What you do get.
- Yes! Spare tire.
- Yes. AC Motor designed by Nikola Tesla.
- Uh-huh. Ridiculously fast acceleration.
- Yes. Smart Phone compatible car - optional device holds it in place for GPS navigation.
- Yes! Drive tastefully, in high style.
- Yes. Rediscover the fun of driving a real car.
- Yes. Turn heads. Without trying.
- Yes: just plug it in. Anywhere.
- Yes - you will be seen going places in the most iconic, beloved auto ever designed.
- Yes. Old skool rules.
- Yes. It's a sleeper. Amaze and delight friends who are clueless.
- Yes. Fit into really small parking places.
- Yes. Take a joyride.
- Yes. A car that continues to increase in value.
- Yes. A thoroughly dependable ride that's awesome fun to pilot.
- Yes. Charge with solar power, fueled by sunshine.
- Yes. A happy feeling because your carbon footprint is diminished.
- Yes. Everyone else will see how smart you really are. At last.
- Yes. You are driving the greenest, recycled type car on the planet. Good for mother earth.
- Yes. Thumbs up from strangers when you least expect it.
- Yes. A back seat.
- A horn with an instantly recognizable sound.