Once a small, noisy car with a tiny engine, now a small, quiet car with a powerful motor.
The drive is the thing. Each vehicle is built to order. To provide the optimum driving experience, the Zelectric performance upgrade includes an array of basic modifications in addition to the drivetrain conversion. Beyond that, custom options are available. We are all about performance.
We retrofit client-owned cars. But if you don’t already own it, we can help locate your ideal candidate for a Zelectric retrofit. Occasionally we have turnkey Zelectric vehicles available for purchase, or exceptional models on hand that are available for commission. In addition to the current market value of the vehicle, general base costs to zelectrify Beetle, Karmann Ghia or Porsche 356 start at $62,000. Microbus retrofits start at $68,000. Other Porsche builds (911/912/914) start at $85,000.
"Zelectric: Quick, Clean and Classic."
– VW Das Auto Magazine
Rarely available. But when they are, typical turnkey ZelectricBug sedans (1958-1966) start at around $85,000. Every car is a vintage classic and priced according to its unique characteristics and condition.
Exceptional ragtops, convertibles and other models can be sourced, including air-cooled Porsches and replicas.
Zelectric can retrofit your currently owned rear-engined VW or Porsche classic (50s, 60s, 70s models) with select components, with base prices starting at $62,000 for Porsche 356, Beetle, or Karmann Ghia, $65,000 for VW Thing, $68,000 for Microbus, $85,000 for Porsche 911, 912, 914.
Basic High Performance Retrofit:
100+ mile Range Battery Pack
Double to Triple the Original Horsepower
120 foot-pounds of Instant Torque
Top Speed 100+ MPH (so far)
Battery Life: 160,000+ Miles - 15+ Years
Lithium Batteries (Recyclable & Dependable)
No Metal is Cut - Nothing Welded On
Included Electric Components
- Maintenance-Free 100% Electric 3-Phase 65KW AC Motor
- 27 kWh Lithium Battery Pack
- 650 Amp Controller with Custom Cooling System
- 2500 Watt On-Board Charging System
- DC/DC Converter (Charges Stock 12-Volt System - Lights Radio etc.)
- 6061-Aluminium CAD Battery Boxes & Motor Mounts
- Drive-By-Wire Throttle System
- Dash-Mounted Selectable Regen Power Switch
- Digital Dash-Mounted e-Fuel Gauge
- Universal Built-In J1772 Charge Port for Level 1 & 2 Home or Public Charging
- Portable 110v Level 1 Household Charger
Mechanical Drivetrain Improvements
- Heavy Duty Clutch & Lightened Flywheel
- Rebuilt 4-Speed or Custom 2-Speed Transaxle
- Short-Throw Shifter
- Adjustable Front Beam - Rear Adjustable Spring Plates
- Front and Rear Heavy-Duty Sway Bars
- Gas Shocks
- Front Disc Brakes
Standard Features Included
- Regen Braking
- 12-Volt Electric Running Gear Upgrade (Lights, Wipers, etc.)
- Sound Deadening Throughout
- Full Carpet and/or Rubber Mat Flooring
- Under-Dash Parcel Shelf/Tray
- LED Headlamps (Beautifully Bright)
- LED Tail, Brake & Parking Lamps
- Spare Tire, Jack & Lug Wrench
Optional Zelectric Upgrades
- Custom 2-Speed Transmission (Included)
- Custom White Wall Radial Tire & Rim Package
- Custom Bluetooth Sound System
- Electric Ceramic Heater System (Wonderfully Warm)
- Period-Correct Roof Rack
- Air conditioning Package Coming Soon!
Every Zelectric Build Includes
- Detailed Wiring Diagram of the Car’s Original System
- Detailed Wiring Diagram of the New Zelectric Components
- Zelectric Driving Guide - Info for Owners
- Manufacturer's Warranties Range from 1-5 Years
Please note that all specifications and prices are subject to change.
The electrical engineering design of the prototype ZelectricBug was developed with Zelectric partner EV West, builders of the BMW M3 that remains the fastest street-division electric to take the International Pike's Peak Hill Climb.
Living with a Zelectric Classic
- No oil. No gas. No emissions.
- No valves to adjust, just fill tires occasionally
- Huge VW parts network worldwide
- VW mechanics everywhere
Electric Motor vs. Gas Engine
- No maintenance
- No carburetor or valve adjustments
- No fuel, oil, or air filters to replace
- No belts or mufflers to replace
- No spark plugs/wire
- No oil, no gas
- More effective use of energy
- Uses American-made energy
- 85% of new power plants are using green energy
- Shifting — less
- Braking — less
- HP — usually at least doubled+ sometimes tripled.
- Torque — instant
- Motor maintenance — zero
- No warm up
- 80–200 mi range, depending on model
- Plug in at overnight - start with a "full tank" in the morning
- Solar-power ready, run on sunshine
- Charge anywhere: 110/220v household outlet or 220 public charger
- Drive 100 miles on $2-4 of electricity, or $0 with solar
We keep it sweetly stock.
- Nothing cut or welded on
- Period-correct interior
- Can be converted back to stock ICE
- White wall tires
- Spare tire
- Manual transmission
- The vehicle is going up in value.
- Every car has a 50 year history and will feature unique options.
- Everything works.
- We field test it for 500+ miles before releasing it.
- Everything is checked - what needs replacing is replaced.
- Zelectrics have won awards and been featured in various California concours-level events.